The Episcopal Diocese of Virginia is ignoring denomination-wide abuse prevention policies almost four years after their required adoption date. The requirements include adoption of updated Policies for the Protection of Children and Youth. Additionally, adoption of Policies for the Protection of Vulnerable Adults is required. Both must be based on the Model Policies developed by the national church, and may not offer less protection than those set forth in the model policies.
The model policies, including one for vaccination of youth at church events, are located here.
The model policies reflect:
- The church’s commitment to full inclusion.
- Evolving understandings of gender.
- Efforts to address bullying and other non-sexual abuse.
- Recommendations regarding public, criminal and financial record checks for staff, volunteers, church wardens and contractors.
New provisions include:
- Each church or organization adopt a written policy consistent with diocesan policy.
- Each diocese conduct a Safe Church Audit every three years.
- Each congregation and organization conduct a Safe Church Self Audit annually and submit the results to the bishop’s office.
- Posting of local policies within churches and organizations in areas where programs are held.
To date, Anglican Watch has not identified any church or organization within the diocese that complies with the policy.
As is typical, efforts to contact the diocese were unsuccessful.